Central Park ChapelCentral Park Chapel

Check back in May 2019 for our Pastor Schedule

Our first service will be June 30, 2019
Chapel Services: 10am and 6pm

Fill out the Contact Form below if you wish to receive a schedule, please include a complete U.S. postal mailing address.

The History of Central Park Chapel

Located on rail and interurban lines linking the west Michigan shore with Chicago and Grand Rapids, Holland has long been a tourist destination. Beginning in the late nineteenth century, vacationers erected summer cottages at Central Park on the shores of Black Lake, present-day Lake Macatawa. Many of them, like the permanent residents, were of Dutch descent and had strong religious beliefs. John R. Stryker hosted services on his porch until 1903 when the Central Park Chapel was built to serve interdenominational religious needs. Dr. John A. Otte, a medical missionary, led the construction of the chapel on land donated by Gerrit Zaalmink. Early services were held in Dutch as well as English. Because of the number of clergy who vacationed here, Central Park was known as "Saint's Rest."

For over 110 years Central Park Chapel has provided vacationers and area residents with meaningful summer worship services affirming the doctrines and creeds of both the Christian Reformed Church and the Reformed Church of America.

Board of Directors

  • Mike Smeenge President
  • Dan Goris Vice President
  • Drew Wierda Treasurer
  • Janice Vogelzang Secretary
  • Jeremy Brieve
  • Carol Danhof
  • Robert Frieling
  • Andrew Huizenga
  • Jon Schram
  • Dave Van Andel